Friday, March 26, 2010

Be Vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits!

Thursday was an exciting day. James was in Arizona with the Three Redneck Tenors show and I had to teach a lesson thursday afternoon so I suggested I meet my student and Jamie's mom's house. So I go toolin' over to Plano. Jamie's mom and aunt (visiting from Oklahoma City) were out so Gus (Jamie's Aunt's beagle. I realize this is getting complicated.) accompanied me in the backyard while I checked on the progress of the herbs, grapes and blackberry bushes we planted early in the week.

WELL, I was leaning over one of the containers in which we'd planted lettuce when I noticed a hole that an animal had clearly dug in the dirt under the lettuce plants. I peered in and saw a rabbit!!!!!!!! We see rabbits in the neighborhood all the time but it was exciting to discover that we were already having wildlife encounters when we'd barely even begun creating our urban farm! Of course, I left the rabbit where it was, Gus sniffed at it but didn't really react, and we went back in the house. When Jamie's mom and aunt came home I told them about the rabbits which they found interesting and suprising. A few minutes later Jamie's aunt took Gus out in the backyard and the next thing I know I'm hearing Gus barking up a storm and Jamie's aunt chasing after Gus, grabbing him and carrying him to the back door with Gus doing his best to free himself from her arms. I ran and opened the door for her. She set Gus down inside the house and told me that there were four rabbits in the yard and Gus got hold of one in his mouth. Alice got Gus to drop the rabbit. It escaped with one of the others but two of the four ended up crouched in a corner on the patio. There was no more Gus drama and eventually the rabbits hopped away. Clearly we're going to have to do something about keeping Peter out of Mr. Mcgregor's garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment