Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I'm sitting here at 140am waiting for my iphone to finish downloading its new software. Ever since the last update which coincided with the release of the 4G my pitiful 3G has been acting all kinds of crazy. It's taking a while so I thought I'd write a blog which I wait.

Ever since I returned from the Czech Republic I have been incredibly busy which has left me no time AT ALL for clay. It doesn't help that kids camps are going on right now but I think they may be over so I'm sure it's safe to step across the thresh hold again. Their not going to remember who I am!

What's keeping me so busy? Well, right after I returned stateside I immediately went into rehearsals for a production of Sweeney Todd being done at Ohlook. Sometimes they do larger shows with a mix of adults and kids and this was one of those shows. I played Beadle Bamford, surprisingly, for the first time. I have had some opportunities in the past but it has never worked out. We did twelve performances and while it might not have been the most professional production I've ever been in at least I got to learn the role, get twelve performances and write it on my resume.

After we opened that show, James and I started rehearsals for [title of show]. This has been a labor of love. Labor being the operative word. James and I have had to be the costume designers, set designers, props designer, producers, go fers and anything else our non-existent "staff" would do. Honestly, I don't really mind it as it is great fun and we get to do the show the way WE want to do it.

It is a wonderfully written show all about the creative process and how a group of friends relates to one another as the quirky musical the write starts to become successful. We have a wonderful cast, all very good friends, and we've been having a lot of fun. The artistic director at Ohlook has been great. She has been very hands off because she knows that we know what we're doing and as a result we've been able to do the show exactly the way we want to do it which is thrilling. The cast is so good I can't say I've had to give a whole lot of guidance as to their concept of the show. Mostly I've shown them blocking then tried to stay out of the we and just let them have fun and play and create the characters' relationships on their own. I'm big on pacing and intent and connecting the dots of hte plot so that's mostly where my notes lie. I think it's going to be a good production. It's played on a TINY stage and truly is just four chairs and a keyboard, as the song says. I'm sure opening night will be fantastic!

I guess that's about it. I've just been consumed with these two shows. I decided not to take voice lessons in Summer II because I knew I wouldn't have time to learn new music what with [title of show] to direct. I am trying to push myself to get everything done by next may so I can graduate. There's relatively little left to do. Keep your fingers crossed!

so that REALLY is it! I wish I had more to say. I'm always thinking up subjects to blog about but then I think they'll be too ranty for words! I must be terribly dull. Sigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment